Microbial Milieu and Antibiogram of Female Genital Infections in a Tertiary Health Facility in Nigeria. https://doi.org/10.60787/NMJ-63-5-119

Main Article Content

Simeon Chijioke Amadi
Abbey Mkpe
Abimbola Temitayo Oluwajenyo Awopeju
Sitonma Iwo-Amah
Anthony Chukwuemeka Olobuah

Keywords

Microbial, Antibiogram, Genital infections, Antibiotics, Nigeria

Abstract

Background: Vaginal infections constitute a significant health challenge for women and lead to long-term complications if not promptly and adequately treated. We aimed to determine the prevalent organisms in vaginal infections in our women and the antibiotic susceptibility of the offending organisms.


Methodology: This was a prospective cross-sectional study of 635 consecutive women attending the Obstetrics and Gynaecology clinic of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital from 1st January 2017 to 31st December 2018. Data obtained were analysed using SPSS version 19.


Results: Four hundred and eight (64.3%) of the women were gynaecological patients, while the remaining 227 (35.7%) were obstetric patients. One hundred and ninety-one(30.1%) out of the total 635 study population did not have any growth of the organisms tested for in the culture assay, while the remaining 444 (69.9%) had. One hundred and forty-four of the women(22.2%) had growth of candida Albicans, 130 (20.5%) had staphylococcus aureus, 78 (12.3%) - Klebsiella species (spp), 48 (7.6%) - Escherichia coli, 30 (4.7%) - Pseudomonas species, 8 (1.3%) - Proteus species and 6 (0.9%) of the women had Streptococcus species. The commonest pathogen involved in vaginal infections in women was Candida albicans. The commonest bacterial isolate was Staphylococcus aureus and then Klebsiella species. The bacteria were susceptible to Ceftriaxone, Cefpodoxime, Cefotaxime, Cefixime, Ciprofloxacin, Dorepenem and Ampicillin. They were mainly resistant to cefuroxime, ceftazidime, Augmentin, Erythromycin and Meropenem.


Conclusion: Candida albicans is prevalent in our women. Staphyloccocus aureus is the commonest bacterial organism in women with vaginal infections. Empirical antibiotic treatment using Cetriazone, Cefpodoxime and Ciprofloxacin, available in our setting, may be beneficial while awaiting the culture results in women with suspected vaginal infections.

Abstract 64 | PDF Downloads 53

References

1.Go VF, Quan VM, Celentano DD, Moulton LH, Zenilman JM. Prevalence and risk factors for reproductive tract infections among women in rural Vietnam. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2006; 37:185–9.

2.Hacer H, Reyhan B, Sibel Y. To determine the prevalence of Bacterial Vaginosis, Candida sp, mixed infections (Bacterial Vaginosis + Candida sp), Trichomonas Vaginalis, Actinomycessp in Turkish women from Ankara, Turkey. Ginekol Pol. 2012; 83:744–8.

3.Mulu W, Yimer M, Zenebe Y, Abera B. Common causes of vaginal infections and antibiotic susceptibility of aerobic bacterial isolates in women of reproductive age attending at Felegehiwot referral Hospital, Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study BMC Women's Health 2015; 15:42-51.

4.Elshabrawy A, Mohammed HA, Ali YM, Heraiz AI. Contribution of vaginal infection to preterm premature rupture of membrane and adverse pregnancy outcome. Microbes Infect Dis 2022; 3: 101-111.

5.Spinillo A, Bernuzzi AM, Cevini C, Gulminetti R, Luzi S, Santolo AD. The relationship of bacterial vaginosis, candida and trichomonas infection to symptomatic vaginitis in postmenopausal women attending a vaginitis clinic. Maturitas. 1997; 27:253–60.

6.Wariso KT, Odigie J, Eyaru S. Prevalence of Chlamydia Trachomatis Infection among Female Undergraduates of the University of Port Harcourt Using Strand Displacement andAmplification [SDA] Technique. TheNiger Health J 2012; 12:35-38.

7.Eshete A, Mekonnen Z, Zeynudin A: Trichomonas vaginalis Infection among Pregnant Women in Jimma University Specialized Hospital, Southwest Ethiopia. ISRN Infectious Diseases 2013, 1–5

8.Saleh AM, Abdalla HS, Satti AB, Babiker SM, Gasim GI, Adam I. Diagnosis of Trichomonas vaginalis by microscopy, latex agglutination, diamond's media, and PCR in symptomatic women, Khartoum, Sudan. DiagnPathol. 2014; 9:49.

9.Trabert B. Risk factors for bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy among African-American women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 197:2–7.

10.Filho DSC, Diniz CG, DASilva VL. Bacterial vaginosis: clinical, epidemiologic and microbiological features. HU Revista Juiz. 2010; 36:223–30.

11.Sonkar SC, Arora G, Wasnik K, Ali M, Mittal P, Saluja D. Improved management can be achieved by introducing additional parameters in the syndromic diagnosis of non-viral sexually transmitted infections at low-resource settings. Am J ObstetGynecol Glob Rep 2022; 2:100037.

12.Rowley J, Vander Hoorn S, Korenromp E, Low N, Onemo M, Abu-Rhaddad LJ et al. Global and Regional Estimates of the Prevalence and Incidence of Four Curable Sexually Transmitted Infections in 2016. WHO Bulletin 2019; 97:548-562

13.World Health Organization. Report on global sexually transmitted infection surveillance. World Health Organization. 2018. Available at: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/stis-surveillance-2018/en/. Accessed 1st March 2021.

14.Ghafur A, Mathai D, Muruganathan A, Jayalal JA, Kant R, Chaudhary D, et al. The Chennai Declaration: a roadmap to tackle the challenge of antimicrobial resistance. Indian J Cancer2013; 50:71−3.

15. Fair RJ, Tor Y. Antibiotics and bacterial resistance in the 21st century. Perspect Medicin Chem 2014; 6:25–64.

16.Prestinaci F, Pezzotti P, Pantosti A. Antimicrobial resistance: a global multifaceted phenomenon. Pathog Glob Health 2015; 109:309–18.

17.Mulu W, Kibru G, Beyene G, Damtie H. Associated risk factors for post-operative nosocomial infections among patients admitted at Felegehiwot referral hospital, Bahir Dar, Northwest, Ethiopia. Clin Med Res. 2013; 2:140–7.

18.Shrestha S, Tuladhar NR, Basnyat S, Acharya GP, Shrestha P, Kumar P. Prevalence of vaginitis among pregnant women attending Paropakar maternity and women's Hospital, Thapathali, Kathmandu, Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J. 2011; 13:293–6.

19.Begum A, Nilufar S, Akther K, Rahman A, Khatoon F, Rahman M. Prevalence of selected reproductive tract infections among pregnant women attending an urban maternal and childcare unit in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Health PopulNutr. 2003; 21:112–6.

20.Gupta G, Nandwam S, Agarwal A. Prevalence of candidiasis, trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis among women of reproductive age group. Indian J Public Health Res Dev. 2013; 4:94–8.

21.Xueqiang F, Zhou Y, Yanfang Y, Yutao D, Huiqing L. Prevalence and risk factors of trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis, andcandidiasis for married women of child-bearing age in rural Shandong. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2007; 60:257–61.

22.Mumtaz S, Ahmad M, Aftab I, Akhtar N, ul Hassan A. Aerobic vaginal pathogens and their Sensitivity Pattern. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2008; 20:113-117.

23.Tariq N, Jeffery T, Ayub R, Alam AY, Javid MH, Shafiq S. Frequency and susceptibility of aerobic bacterial vaginal isolates. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2006; 16:196-199.

24.Abera B, Kibret M. Bacteriology and antimicrobial susceptibility of otitis media at Dessie regional health research laboratory, Ethiopia. Ethiop J Health Dev. 2011; 25:162–7.

Most read articles by the same author(s)